When looking for a new job, it is important to manage your time wisely. It is easy to become burned out on the process. It might sound counterintuitive, but one way to keep things fresh is to manage your Saturdays and Sundays wisely. There are a few simple things you can do to give yourself a head start for the week ahead. Here are several tips you can use to make the most of your weekend job search.
- Have coffee. The weekend is a great time to catch up with your network. Since they are working during the week while you are applying for jobs and interviewing, a Saturday morning coffee meeting is a perfect way to get together with your contacts or to schedule time to meet with new people. If someone isn’t available this weekend, take some time to schedule for their next available Saturday or Sunday.
- Research your dream companies. Spend some time on the weekend learning about your target companies. Some larger organizations have books published on their rise to success. Read these books to give yourself an insider’s view on the organization. Google these companies and learn all you can about them.
- Plan your week ahead. The more organized you are about your time, the less frantic you will be as unexpected things come up. Look at industry events and see what you might want to attend to boost your networking for the week. You can use a planner or planning software to track your schedule. Google has an easy-to-use calendar that is free if you have a Google account.
- Shop for your business wardrobe. The weekend is a great time to browse local department or discount stores to find the perfect business suit or other professional clothes. Remember, the first impression is the most important one, and you want to make sure you are representing yourself well.
- Recharge for the week ahead. While you can certainly spend some of your weekend networking or planning your week ahead, you really should take some time off as well. Looking for a job is stressful and a full-time job on its own. Spend the weekend relaxing at home, spending time with friends, or going on a short road trip to relax and unwind.
Looking for more creative job search ideas? Contact Harvard Resource Solutions today!