Have you ever felt like your current career path was no longer what you wanted or expected? There is no shame in realizing that you have different needs as your life changes. If you find yourself unhappy with your current job, it may be time to transition to another field. But how can you do that without making big mistakes? Here are our tips for transitioning your career and avoiding regrettable blunders.
- Don’t be late. While this sounds like basic advice that has little to do with transitioning a career, it is one of the most important steps you can take. When you’re changing your career, you have to start at the beginning and prove yourself all over again, so make sure you are considering the small stuff, like being prompt and punctual at work.
- Adjust your attitude. Part of the reason you want to transition your career may be that you were feeling burned out in your previous roles. Even if this is the case, make sure that you curb any negativity, and actively display a positive attitude in all of your interactions. This begins with your initial interviews and needs to continue throughout your entry-level experiences.
- Be open to change. While you will have transferable skills, there will inevitably be many things that are very different about your new position. If you are interested in transitioning at all, it is imperative that you are able to face these changes without complaint or push back. Consider this a time to learn new things and new ways of doing old things.
- Let go of pride. Yes, it is absolutely okay to be proud of your past accomplishments, but don’t let your pride get in the way of learning the ropes in this new position. Give yourself permission to learn from others, even those who are younger or less experienced than you.
- Get involved. Finally, give yourself permission to get involved. The best way to learn new things, or to apply your previous skills to new concepts, is to jump in and get your feet wet. Allow yourself to learn by doing and volunteer to take on projects that will help you better understand the new processes.
Do you want to transition your career in 2016? Harvard Resource Solutions is now hiring for jobs in Troy MI and can help, so call us now!